Thursday, December 11, 2008

Seat Belt Warning . . .


Ok so before I post this little "testimoment" I must say . . . that yes, I do look at everything with a bit of a spiritual eye. Because ya know what . . . if you do, you will see things and learn things that you never would have . . . so with that "disclaimer" here I go . . .

Last Sunday I was leaving church in my FABULOUS minivan, and as I pulled out of the parking lot I noticed that the seat belt warning BEEP wasn't . . . well . . . beeping. Normally my seat belt warning goes off like every 2 seconds until you can't stand it anymore and you put your seat belt on. I have felt very silly driving my daughter down the road to the bus stop with my seat belt on, but I CAN'T STAND the beeping! So I give in and buckle up.

Well as I was leaving I hadn't buckled up and noticed that there was silence. At first I thought, OH JOY, but then as I approached the stop sign, I started to feel less joyful. I started to feel like, do I really have to have it beep at me in order to be safe? Can't I just CHOOSE to be safe without this glorious car beeping at me? So I reached over and buckled up my safety belt.

Ok, so here comes the "testimoment". Do we need that constant beep reminding us to be safe? Do we need to be reminded all the time in order to protect ourselves from the evils of the world? YES . . . without that beeping to remind us to put on our "armor" our "safety belts" we forget to. What are our spiritual warnings? What are the things that you use in your life to remind you to "armor" up? Church, Scriptures, Prophets, Prayer . . . that's right all the typical primary answers. So for those of us who feel like, well why do I need to go to Church when I already learned it all? I already know what I am supposed to do . . . Because we need to be reminded daily (hourly for me!) that we are riding along in this troubled world and we need to protect ourselves (especially at high speeds!) from the dangers of the world. And unless you are so strong that you can remember every second to "put on your seat belt" we need those "beeps" to remind us to do it!

So the next time you are driving along and that darned seat belt just keeps beeping at you, don't buckle it behind your back, don't disconnect the fuse, BUCKLE UP! Protect yourself and remember that the Lord is at "home" and wants you to return to him, just like your family is waiting at home wanting you to return to them. So "buckle up" so to speak and know that those beeps are only there to help you be safe!

Drive carefully and know that everyone else out there on the "road" is just trying to get home too.

1 comment:

Becky Lewis said...

You are sooooo awesome to take notice of such a thing..........and to make a spiritual allignment to that teaching and make it relevant. Good girl!