Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Heaven on Earth . . .

I have been thinking often about my family and what I need to do to improve it. I hear quotes and comments about how "this is the time" when my littles are little. Celebrate it, enjoy it. So I want to. So I have been using a road map to make this Holiday Season a fun and memorable one, to start family traditions.

Tonight was the first night of our "adventure". I purchased a "project" from the relief society super Saturday. It was a darling ribbon with 24 tiny mis-matched socks to use as an advent calendar. I then used ideas from my hubby's aunt's book PHENOMENAL FAMILY to create some activities we could do each day to make memories and I put one activity per day until Christmas in each sock.

Our first one was a Family Home Evening Lesson. We also made popcorn (by using our stir crazy and taking off the lid, the kids LOVED how it flew all over the room and it's a memory I have from when I was little.) I had then been to the Library and picked up some Christmas themed children's books and wrapped them up, so the kids could pick one to read. As I sat there listening to my oldest daughter read this book and to see my 3 year old sitting practically on her lap eating popcorn off the floor. I had to take a moment to take it all in.

I looked around the room . . . the Christmas Lights, the overly decorated tree, the nativity on the mantel, the popcorn ALL over the floor and the girls huddled together reading a book . . . I thought, "this is what heaven is like". This is what they are talking about.

I thank my Lord for the ability to have pieces of Heaven here on Earth. Granted the moment was short lived as the girls argued over who got to take the book to their room, it was Peace on Earth for me for but a moment and I'll take it!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Thanks so much for sharing. What amazing memories your family is making!

Megan and Jon said...

Ann I love all that you do. I find myself as a mom always thinking that I'm not doing enough. Do you feel that way. Seems like there is so much but I think it comes down to what you are doing. Little things all the time as a family that add up..

Anonymous said...

Luv reading these..:)
you are gifted---I luv your sweet testimoney!

Also---Im dieing over that picture of your daughter looking up to the temple....Awhhh----priceless.
Thats what its all about right?