Friday, April 17, 2009

Temple Day and Little Learners . . .


Today was my trip to the temple. I have been trying to start each day with a little bit of quiet time and scriptures before the hustle and bustle of the day. This morning I read D&C 76. I read it thru a couple of times because I enjoyed it so much. (this will come into play later on in the story)

On to the temple . . . I was able to go with a dear friend that is another leader serving in Young Women's with me. We decided to do initiatory work (for more on the ordinances performed in the temple click here). We were given a list of five names and directed through the ordinances (this was my first time doing it on behalf of those who have passed on). As I sat by myself I looked at those names, I looked at the dates and was amazed by how long ago they walked this earth. I thought that they have been waiting a long time to have their work done . . . and how happy they must be . . . and then I remembered the scripture I had read this morning in which Joseph Smith received revelation in regards to the kingdoms of heaven. "Behold these are they who died without law; who received not the testimony of Jesus in the flesh, but afterwards received it. These are they who are honorable men of the earth, who were blinded by the craftiness of men." (D&C 72, 74-75) and I smiled. I closed my eyes and listened to the quiet voices of those called to serve the Lord in the temple and KNEW there was no other place I needed to be, but there. I LOVE the temple and I will make it a goal to visit AT LEAST monthly. What a renewed desire and a clear view of what this life is all about. It's about the next life!!!

Then this afternoon I was starting a project (painting an old door) and while I was painting my four year old wanted to come out and take part of the good weather (that has been hiding from us for so long) by riding her bike in the garage. I carried her bike down and turned to hoist it over the can of paint thinking I MUST tell her to walk the other way, when I had the feeling . . . "if you want her to go the other way, you must go that way too . . . "

I helped her climb on her bike and knelt down next to the door and that smile that overcame me in the temple was back, I KNEW this was a testimoment. If we are to teach our children the way to go, we must walk that way ourselves. We can't tell them to "go that way" as we trail off down a different path. The Lord and his prophets have counseled us to teach our children by example. How could I expect her to go a different way when I took a shorter but much more dangerous route myself.

I am truly grateful for the Lord and His hand in my life and in turn I will make sure that my children know of His hand in their lives also. They may at times choose that shorter path, BUT aren't we grateful for Christ's atonement to take off the stains the can of paint can leave, and truly grateful for the knowledge of that gift.

3 comments:

Christa said...

Thank you, I needed to hear this today. I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit to the temple, please pray that my husband and I will be able to go be sealed soon, we're having a problem taking the prep classes because of his work schedule, and I'm in primary.

Rich and Nickie said...

What an awesome blog...thanks for sharing your thoughts. It was so uplifting!

SessionsFam said...

I am amazed by your testimony! What a strenghth! You are a great example to me! Thank You!